Posted by Jill
on Apr 10, 2012 in Information
- Eating kangaroo is not sustainable. This is a myth successfully marketed by the kangaroo industry, and repeated by uncritical media and unknowing Australians. Government data shows kangaroo populations are trending seriously downwards.
- Yet Australians put kangaroo on their plate, export kangaroo to 55 countries, and are lobbying Russia and China to import kangaroo.
- Australians also feed kangaroo to their cats & dogs as fresh & tinned pet food.
- Kangaroos are not farmed. Shooters kill whole wild populations, emptying rural landscapes.
- An average kangaroo doe will replace herself only once in her lifetime – if she survives her natural life span.
- Kangaroo populations cannot “explode”. They grow around 10% per year and decline during drought. Yet industry researchers claim population growths of over 300% and even increasing during drought.
- Kangaroos also die in “epidemic mortality events” after floods.
- We have not improved the environment for kangaroos. We have degraded it and introduced lethal threats which have been operating across the landscape for over 200 years.
- Government data shows kangaroo numbers have fallen by up to 90% in NSW harvest zones.
- “Plagues of kangaroos” is a myth. The data shows there are less kangaroos, with less than 2% remaining in some NSW Kangaroo Management (Commercial Shooting) Zones (KMZ)
- Actual counts are multiplied by up to 1,456 times to create ever increasing “populations”.
- Shooters are allowed to kill nearly 5.5 million kangaroos in Australia this year (2012), however it’s unlikely they will find this many to shoot.